Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's Over... Now I am sad

We are back at the hotel and I am not quite sure where to put my emotion.
For the last 9 months we have been preparing for this day... for the last weekend
this day has been our carrot. What now?

Closing ceremony was moving. They had us all march in hand-in-hand, arm-in-arm
to an area across the street where our friends, family and 3day staff were. The spokesperson rallied us and the crowd. We were clapping, chanting and even crying.



The most emotional part was when the survivors walked in. We could not see them but could feel their presence through the screaming. Everyone held up a shoe. (I had heard at my last pit stop that this was tradition.) Just like in the Opening Ceremony, the flag was raised by the circle of survivors. In the circle I saw a gal, looks to be in her 30s that I had seen earlier in the weekend and had wondered with her short hair whether or not she was a breast cancer survivor. She was walking with her husband and friends... It made me sad and lucky, this could be me or Jill up there. It puts things into perspective.




This by far will be the most memorable weekend in my life (thus far). I am happy to not be walking anymore, to be soaking my feet (in a trash can not a bathtub) and to be getting ready to enjoy two days in DC... I guess walking more.

Thank you for your emails. texts, phone messages, letters, cards, snack bags, sleeping bags, duffle bags and donations. I grew this weekend thanks to you and your encouragement. I really can say that I WILL do this again, but not without my village. MERCI! MERCI! MERCI!

2 comments:

WildwoodBetty said...

Dear Stacey and Jill,

I am so proud of you. Thanks for sharing your story. I cried when I read it and looked at your pictures. It brought back such memories! I think the closing event is indelibly printed forever in the memories of those who participate in such an event.
Liz

Cook@Chaos&Chicken said...

Thanks, Liz! I wish now that I would have taken more pictures and I am very sorry that I cannot get the video to upload.
Thanks for all of your encouragement and advice along the way. I think that I am going to do the Seattle one next year...