Friday, October 3, 2008

Day One- 10 miles in. . .

And We're Off!

Well, we got a slow start this morning.

We were both very wound up lastnight. I guess excited and nervous. . . I really could not believe that it was time to do this. At midnight I received a text message that I thought was the alarm. I thought it was time to get up. Needless to say, we were both restless and when the real alarm buzzed at 4:30 a.m. we were exausted.

Downstairs in the hotel we got our first taste of 3 day food. Seeing that it is 5:30, Jill and I had to practically force down a hard boiled egg and yogurt but now that we are at lunch (starving), I am glad we did.

We met two gals at breakfast that were on their 10th Walk together from California. It is amazing to see how many of us are out there... all with our own stories.
We board a bus at 6:15 a.m. and head to the opening ceremonies.

Opening Ceremonies--- note all the PINK and my co-walker's GREEN :) Atleast I know I will be able to find her if I lose her!!!

It is still dark outside and cold as we enter the world of PINK. A large decorated stage, inspirational balloons and flags all greet us.

The Opening Ceremony begins with a stretching activity and ends with a very moving survivors circle. Behing me is a mother with her two daughters. They are sobbing... I could not help but to get teary eyed. Emotional and exausted does not suit me well.

We are off 45 minutes later, single filed to begin our journey. Since we all left at the same time we are moving slow. It has taken us 3 hours to walk 10 miles.


We are at our first 3day lunch... not bad and we are SO HUNGRY! They keep reminding us to hydrate, urinate and masicate (chew). Kind of gross but cannot get it out of my head.
(Crew members are riding along on bikes and motorcycles with words and songs of encouragement-- As a fundraiser you can choose walker or Crew.)

No comments: